Saturday, September 6, 2014

Day 6—Blanding UT to McElmo CanyonI CO

Friday, September 5
Everybody loved this day.  It was our best food day, only 66 miles, cooler, and we’re finally getting our cycling legs under us.  We stayed in a 1960’s vintage motel, and the proprietors, 5th generation Hispanics, put out an amazing spread for breakfast.  Guilt-free cinnamon rolls!  I ate mine and the stuffed croissants while applying over a tablespoon of Tough Skin and over 8 square inches of  moleskin to my feet.  It seemed to help until about the last 10 miles.

About 5 of us rode in a fast 20-mph pace line for about 30 miles through the Ute Indian Reservation.  I got a flat, but it took me almost two miles to realize it because the road was so rough. (No wonder I couldn't keep up with my group!) Damn those goat head thorns!  It was so nice to have a guide and the talented Dan DeRuyter help, as I can barely change a light bulb, let alone a flat tire.

Lunch at mile 61 was our usual picnic (always a nice spread by our French guide/former chef) but this time at a winery, Sutcliffe Vineyards.  Fortunately it was only another two miles to our  Kelly Place, a B&B, retreat center and an archeological preserve next to the Canyons of the Ancients National Monument.  

Lunch view at Sutcliffe Vineyards



The place is on some ancient ruins, so I took a hike and explored a couple of kivas. Dinner was a fantastic SW Mexican buffet.  Why can’t they make food like this up north?
Mary inside a kiva
Exploring a Kiva--better than Mesa Verde NP










Tomorrow is Day 7, 70 miles and some climbing to Durango.  I will miss the six riders that are leaving us.  I’ve received a number of questions from readers, so maybe on my layover day there, I’ll do a post of Q&A.  Just maybe.



2 comments:

  1. I love following your travels, Ron. I like the t-shirt, too! Do you stop for each of these photos or are you biking and clicking? :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I use photo opportunities as an excuse to stop on steep climbs. Sometimes I point and shoot while riding, but only when it's level and no traffic. I've missed many great shots because I didn't want to stop on steep down hill stretches, or to lose pace with my fellow riders.dd Thanks for your comments. Another one will be uploaded in about three hours from now.--Ron

      Delete