Saturday, January 7, 2017

Doing Much Better!


Back at it with Trainer Sam
People ask me how I’m doing, since it’s been awhile from my last November 24 blog post, just before Thanksgiving.  Well, I’m happy to report, MUCH BETTER!  I met with the surgeon a few days before Christmas and she said that my recovery is better than average, even considering my second hospitalization.  The bad news?  She said it will probably be another two months at least to get back to my version of “normal.”

My appetite and energy level are back, and I’ve regained much of the weight I lost.  The abdominal pain is intermittent and very moderate.  My strength is way below what it was, which I was reminded of with stiffness and soreness following my first kettle bell workout with Trainer Sam last Thursday. 

We took advantage of all that staying home for the holidays has to offer:  concerts, social events, the music, quiet evenings at home, binge watching, coloring, new books to read, and of course, the food!  

Coloring and games Christmas Eve
Kathy’s almost 92-year old mom had a pacemaker installed two days before Christmas, so she spent several days with us.  It worked wonders, almost immediately.  She became enamored with adult coloring with us.  And you don't want to compete with her in a Scrabble game. 

Shortly after Doris returned home, our Uzbek exchange student daughter, Feruza from New York, spent the New Year holiday weekend with us, along with her mother and brother from Uzbekistan.  More food, dominoes, visitors calling to see them, and sightseeing in the cold weather.
Feruza and her two moms, New Years Eve
Kathy's amazing cake
Doing it the Uzbek way.
More ergonomic, she says
A special (and fattening) Uzbek feast

Silver Falls New Years Day
South Silver Falls New Years Day
We leave on Tuesday afternoon for what we call our “Almost Cuba Consolation Trip,” to New Orleans, Tampa, Miami, and Key West for two weeks.  It burns up a lot of frequent flyer miles, gives us some warm weather and sunshine, and gets as close to Cuba as possible.  And I can drink the water without worry.  I’m especially looking forward to at least a whole day at the World War II Museum in New Orleans.


We have several plans already on the books for the year.  We’re looking forward to 2017 with a new sense of “go while you still can!”  We wish you all the best and hope that you also take advantage of every single day.

2 comments:

  1. Envious and glad to travel vicariously with you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Glad to hear you're recuperating well, Ron. Keep it up! And it makes me happy to see the picture of Doris as well as Feruza's family. You and Kathy have made a big difference in many lives. Have a wonderful time in the sun!

    ReplyDelete