Thursday, August 21, 2014

10 Days to Go!

“Dad, do you think it’s going to be any easier when you are 64 or 65?  You’re only 63 once.”  With those words from daughter Skyler, and the urging of my bicycling friends Ron and Barb Douglas from Spokane, I signed up for a two week, 885-mile ride from Zion National Park to Santa Fe, NM.  What am I getting myself into?

East and Paulina Lakes
With just 10 days to go, today I’m heading off to camp at East and Paulina Lakes (6300 ft. elevation) in Central Oregon for five days of getting used to cycling and sleeping at higher elevations.  Kathy is going to join me over the weekend, at least for company and an excuse to go camping.

On the Portland Century
We are both recovering from walking pneumonia.  Kathy was diagnosed and finally treated two weeks ago.  On Saturday I rode the 101-mile “Portland Century” with friends Jim and Debbie Miller and finally decided to see a doctor on Monday.  Fortunately, I never got the fatigue and congestion that she did.  We are so grateful to live in the 2st Century with access to modern medicine!

And speaking of modern medicine, it looks and feels like my March elbow surgery was a success!  I've even been able to resume swimming (with many stops to catch my breath).  Book sales have continued to be steady, especially following an article in the Statesman Journal about my experience of writing it.  

Kathy has been unbelievably busy with her Assistance League responsibilities at the local and national board level.  She will be at its national conference in Orlando during part of my bike ride.  

This year's Art Festival Treasure
In between everything else, we've had a very good summer since our return from Colorado.  The annual Salem Art Festival, dinners with friends, Saturday markets, and beautiful weather.  

As always, we’ll hate to say good bye to all of it.  We hope you've had a good summer as well.

Stay tuned for more updates and photos from the road over the next three weeks.

1 comment:

  1. This is such good news! I admire you, Ron, and I'm sure it's going to be both a thrilling and joyful adventure. Be sure to keep us up to date during the trail, and enjoy it!

    Best wishes!

    ReplyDelete