Tuesday, November 8, 2016

A Step Backward into the ER

  
Here we go again
Progress is not always a straight line. Monday was another in a series of good days since I returned home a week ago.    I didn't take Tylenol with breakfast, I walked to work, climbed three flights of stars, and worked for a couple of hours, then walked home.  However I woke up late in the night with major and frightening abdominal pains.  This morning, the surgeon told me to check into the ER.

After five hours of IV pain medications and fluids, a normal CAT scan and chest X-ray, and blood and urine tests, nobody knows why this happened.  My white cell and platelet counts are way up, and the doctors are just as baffled by them as we are.

It seems like I'm right back to where I was a week ago, but with much better bowel functions, less bloating,  and a growing appetite.
Tuna Noodle Casserole Tonight

The ER doc suggested I spend the night for observation and pain control.  As I was about to agree, some loud voices in the hallway and an automatic door slamming for the 15th time made the decision for me.  I'm much more comfortable and I can get more rest at home.  I had a luxurious uninterrupted nap this afternoon snuggled in smooth sheets,without an awkward and stupid hospital gown, and  hourly interruptions for vitals.  And I like my own and Kathy's cooking much better.
No more staples!


The good news is that I got my staples removed and the incision and its drains show no signs of infection.
Sunday's big breakfast before a drive
through the countryside

And the other good news is that as I'm about to publish this, I am feeling slightly better.

Thanks to all of you for you concerns and well wishes.  Trust me, it means a lot.  Some have wondered how I can write a blog under these kinds of circumstances.  For me, writing this is a brief distraction from the pain.

One final thought:  This is one helluva way to lose 10 pounds and 2.5% body fat!





1 comment:

  1. Well aren't you full of adventures! I'm glad you are home and that sounds like a much better place to recuperate. I hope you will feel better soon and that you will find out what's happening. Let me know if you or Kathy need anything.

    ReplyDelete